Flagil is an anti-bacterial medication based on metronidazole. It is manufactured in the film-coated pills, which have metronidazole (250 mg), vaginal suppositories (500 mg of metronidazole), solution for infusion in vials of 100 ml containing 500 mg of metronidazole in the bottle (or 5 mg in 1 ml). Flagyl is effectively used to fight a great number of pathogenic bacteria, among which are the following: Trichomonas vaginalis, Giardia intestinalis, Entamoeba histolytica, Lamblia spp. Bacteroides fragilis, Bacteroides ovatus,Bacteroides thetaiotaomicron, Bacteroides vulgatus, Parabacteroides distasonis, Fusobacterium spp., Veillonella spp., Prevotella bivia, Prevotella buccae, Prevotella disiens, Eubacterium spp., Clostridium spp., Peptococcus spp., Mobiluncus spp., Propionibacterium acnes, Actinomyces spp.
To buy Flagyl ER go to official pharmacy please.
Which diagnoses require treatment with the help of Flagyl ER?
Flagyl ER has proven to be effective fighting against:
- infections caused by protozoa: trichomoniasis, giardiasis, amoebiasis, amebic liver abscess.
- infections caused by anaerobic bacteria: peritonitis, abscesses of the abdominal cavity and liver, endometritis, abscesses of the ovaries and fallopian tubes, postoperative complications, pneumonia, empyema, lung abscess, meningitis, brain abscess, skin infections, bone infections, sepsis, endocarditis.
- prevention of complications in surgical interventions.
- aerobic and anaerobic bacterial infections.
- eradication of Helicobacter pylori in Helicobacter-associated gastric and duodenal ulcers.
Flagyl for the eradication of Helicobacter pylori: the drug may be prescribed in complex therapy for the eradication of Helicobacter pylori as it is not used for Helicobacter pylori eradication without special schemes and medications able to decrease gastric acidity. Flagyl ER is not prescribed for the gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer and gastritis treatment in case there is no the Helicobacter pylori.
Doses of Flagyl ER
It is recommended to take Flagyl orally without chewing not depending on the mealtime. Each diagnose requires it’s the prescription of its special dose. Check out the recommended doses of Flagyl for the following diseases:
- Entamoeba histolytica infection: adults – 750 mg 3 times a day for 5-10 days. Children are recommended to have 35-50 mg per kg body weight per day, divided doses in three for 10 days.
- Infections caused by anaerobic bacteria: Flagyl can be taken not more than seven days, possibly in a combination with other antibiotics, the dose depends on the age: children under 12 years of age, including newborns – 7.5 mg of Flagyl per kg of body weight 3 times a day. Patients older than 12 years – 250-500 mg 3 times a day.
- Trichomonas vaginalis – 250 mg four times a day for 5 days or 2 grams once or 250 mg two times a day for 10 days.
- Prevention of infections caused by anaerobic bacteria before surgery: children from 0 to 5 years – 5 mg flagyl per kg every 8 hours for 2 days. Children from 5 to 12 years – 125 mg every 8 hours for 2 days. Patients older than 12 years – initially 1 g once, then – 250 mg 3 times a day.
- Lamblia infections (Giardia intestinalis) – the daily dose should be divided into two doses, duration of treatment course should last for 5-10 days, a second course of 4-6 weeks, the dose depends on the age: children from 2 to 5 years – 250 mg per day, children from 6 to 10 years – a daily dose – 375 mg. Patients who are older than 10 years – 500 mg per day.
Who is contraindicated to use Flagyl?
Flagyl ER treatment is forbidden in the following cases: Hypersensitivity to imidazoles; organic CNS disease, including epilepsy; blood diseases; incoordination; pregnancy and lactation; liver failure.
Flagyl for pregnant and lactating women
Flagyl can’t be taken by pregnant women during the first trimester. As for the 2d and 3d trimesters – it is possible to use it in case the expected effect for the mother outweighs the risk to the unborn child. It should be taken into account that metronidazole crosses the placenta and Flagyl is released into the milk. It is able to create a concentration that is similar to the one in plasma. The mother’s milk may change the taste and become bitter. It is better not to use the drug while lactating and 2 more days after you stop taking Flagyl in order to avoid any possible harm to the child.
Which side effects may be the consequence of Flagyl ER treatment?
As any drug, Flagyl can cause certain adverse reactions. Among the reported side effects there are the following:
- NA: dizziness, headache, impaired motor coordination, irritability, confusion, irritability, depression, convulsions, insomnia, peripheral neuropathy, hallucinations;
- From the side of the gastrointestinal tract: a metallic taste in the mouth, nausea, dry mouth, glossitis, anorexia, stomatitis, anorexia, pancreatitis, diarrhea, vomiting, epigastric pain;
- From the part of an urinary system: cystitis, polyuria, dysuria, candidiasis, urinary incontinence, urine staining in brown color;
- Allergic reactions: skin flushing, hives, fever, allergic rhinitis.
Other possible side effects are: neutropenia, leukopenia, flattening of the T wave on the electrocardiogram. In order not to experience any negative reaction, it is recommended to see your doctor and follow his/her instructions. The most important is to take only the prescribed dose as overdose may become the reason of serious side effects. In any case it is necessary to ask for medical consultation if you have noticed one of the adverse reactions, which have been described above.
Is it possible to use an analog of Flagyl ER?
Analog of the drug supposes that there is some other medication, which works on the same active component. Here it is Metronidazole. There are a lot of drugs that include this active substance. Among the medications that can be used instead of Flagyl ER there are the following: